• The Cheery Runner

    Sunday, August 07, 2005

    My 1st Sand Run!!

    When I reached the club @7.15am.. most members have gathered at the lobby.. we had planned to run in to Sentosa for the NB Trial... At the entrance, we flashed our Islander pass and slow jogged in from the side road.. Anthony, Colleen, Hock Soon, Andre, Ong and I decided to do the NB 10km trial whereas Chairman led the remaining who prefer to do a longer to a scenic route...

    There was a big crowd of runners at the assembly area.. at ard 8am, the officials briefed us about the run.. and off we ran out of the visitor center.. Ong told me not to run to fast as the sand part will be tough.. we locked our pace following 2 Ang Mohs.. past the sentosa cove, we saw chairman leading the "old balance" group in the opposite direction.. haha just a name to avoid confusion between the new balance runners running in the same direction as them..

    Soon we reached Tanjiong beach.. after a few steps, i almost couldn't take it.. my breathing was heavily.. my legs were hurting as I had a tendency to sprain my leg due to the soft sand.. and my legs keep running down the slope towards the sea!! half way through the beach.. i felt like giving up.. Ong gave me alot of encouragement and taught me how to overcome.. he said my legs were not strong enuff.. and i was unable to control well.. i slow jogged to the end and was glad to reach the pavement.. after a short distance, we reached the Siloso beach.. i ran on the firm sand portion. and this was better than the 1st sand part... by the time i ended the sand portion, i felt very tired and drained out.. my throat was super dry.. and i told Ong.. i need 100 plus.. I gulped down a can of 100 plus and felt recharged and ran back my pace all the way back to the Endpt.. my time clocked 1hr 03 mins.... I filled myself with cups of 100 plus...

    We met up with cm and the rest of the group at the departure center.. and I slow jogged back with a tummy full of 100plus.. hahaha...

    Distance covered: NB Trial 10km __ Timing: 1hr 03 mins

    3 Comments:

    • At 7:34 AM, Blogger The Lonely Runner said…

      congrats for overcoming it! honestly, i also have problem running on sand! my body tells me to walk.

      if only the beach sand are firm, i guess it will be easier than running in a soft sand....

       
    • At 1:55 PM, Blogger The DreamRunner said…

      Jaime,

      good run there. 1hr3min is good timing for the conditions we faced that day - HOT sun, and sand too.

      Dream

       
    • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Jaime said…

      thanks! haha was very happy when the sand part was over..

      yah got to look out for the firm beach sand.. haha but i am too slow.. by the time i reach the sand part.. firm sand become loose sand already.. hehehe...

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home