• The Cheery Runner

    Sunday, September 04, 2005

    My 1st Mizuno Wave Run @ Kovan

    It was 5:30am.. Ong and I have signed up for the Mizuno Wave run in August.. This is the 2nd time Mizuno is organising this event... We took some cereals and headed to Hougang Stadium for some warm-up.. Ong ran 1km in a relaxing pace to calibrate his new RS200sd... :) While we were waiting for Bus 112, we did some leg stretching at the bus stop... Just when Ong told me that maybe we could get a free ride from some runners driving by.. a car really stopped in front of us.. A lady in her running gear stepped out and enquired how to go to the start point.. this Japanese family have lost their way and we gladly guided them there.. :)

    When we arrived Kovan Hub (previously Hougang Bus Interchange) at ard 7am, the place was buzzing with alot of runners.. we did our registration and dropped our lucky draw coupon.. I told Ong that Anthony will be meeting Sgrunners outside Mcdonalds.. we saw a numbers of runners but Anthony was no where in sight.. we went back to the start pt and saw Anthony and our new runner, Alan... soon the emcee announce the race will start soon..

    Bang! the race started... as the runners squeezed thru the narrow start pt balloon... I got separated from Ong as I ran onto the pavement as the crowd was running on the road... I managed to catch sight of Ong as I ran towards the main road.. Ong checked his watch.. I was doing a pace of 4.55min/km.. he said slow down slow down.. I was still feeling quite ok.. maybe becos it is oni the 1st km.. when I passed Hougang Ave 7, my breathing was getting abit heavy and Ong asked me to slow down abit more... abt 5.1min/km.... we skipped the 1st water pt... the sun was out and it was quite hot.. I could feel the glare as I ran towards Old Tampines Road.. lucky i got my cap with me to shade off... soon we saw the 1st runner at the opposite side.... wow he was leading quite far away from the pack.... I started to feel breathless as I ran up the slope... i tried to recover my breathing at the down slope..... soon we reached the U-turn pt... we were stopped for the 1st time... we waited for awhile b4 we were allowed to proceed.. Ong asked me to run on as we passed the 2nd water pt.. he will help me to take some water.. i started to feel drain out and my pace was slower.. Ong caught up and passed me the water.. i took a sip and threw the cup away.. din knew tt he haven drank yet.. Alamak :-# he gave me a surprised look and said.. aiyo i haven drank.. i was quite guilty abt it.... then he spotted a snake laying near the drain... i was quite shagged at the time.. and dun have energy to look back... :p i started to slow down even more.. 6min/km... Ong told me nvm just run my pace.. i was quite worried at some pt tt I might collapse as i felt abit giddy and weak.... I keep reminding myself.. Cho Cho Li... Cho Cho Li.. Soon I passed the 7.5km mark and saw Kovan Melody from afar.. I told myself to hang on.. the end pt is very near.. We were stopped twice at the traffic junctions.. shortly after, we saw a runner collapse and some of his frens were helping him at the busstop.. 1 more km to go.. We past Kovan MRT, ran up the last slope and all the way to the finishing line... =)

    Overall was a good shag out run for me.. my right feet din give me much problem today.. maybe due to the rest I had for the week as I only ran on Tuesday and cross trained on thursday.... Ong is satisfied with my timing.. he told me that at the U-turn pt my timing was 25mins... but i slowed down quite alot on the way back as I took about 32 mins... means must do more training... hahaha.... looking forward to the sheares bridge run next sunday .. but one thing for sure.. Ong said I can't run at that pace else I will be punctured halfway through the 21km... :">

    Distance covered: 10km __ Timing: 57mins 56secs

    2 Comments:

    • At 3:25 PM, Blogger The DreamRunner said…

      good run, though the pace was a bit fast in the first 5km...

      congrats for holding out, and that shows that when tired, just slow down and take a breather... u will last much longer...

      great to have Ong to pace and motivate u along the way

      hope u got a 'S' size - the T-Shirt is nice

       
    • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jaime said…

      yap.. abit too fast for me.. din realise it until i couldn't catch my breath after the U turn..

      haha yap.. ran fast can burn out more calories.. when energy run out.. will run slower and this is when the fats are being burn.. hehehe.. so overall get to burn calories and fats.. good workout! ;)

      yap.. he is a good pacer and guide me throughout the run.. haha but the last stretch i really ran out of energy to follow him.. he kept turning back to see me behind.. haha couple of times i signalled wait wait.. 'bo kui liao'

      hai.. sad to say by the time i got my goodie bag.. run out of 'S' size.. i got 'M' instead.. anyone wan to change size?? :)

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home