• The Cheery Runner

    Sunday, September 11, 2005

    I did my PB in AHM!!! Hurray!!!

    I went for a movie gathering, "Marathon" and dinner with some club members yesterday... and slept around 11pm... My sleep was disturbed by my bad cough.. I woke up a couple of times and the last time caused me to cough out some of the food I had taken over dinner....

    It was 3.30am... time to wash up and get ready for the AHM... Ong and I each took a cup of cereal and a piece of bread.. we left home at about 4.40am.. we managed to get a cab and picked up Kumaran along the way.. there was a bad jam as we approached Raffles City and caught sight of Wong walking towards Padang.. we dropped off @ the busstop before Esplanade.. my clock showed 5.15am.... there was a roaring crowd with more than half are Army guys... we met up with Wong, Akira and Colleen.. there was a long queue of ppl at the Bagage center.. lucky we din bring any bags along... as we moved towards the start pt, we caught up with Anthony and 2 sgrunners, Balasing and Chris and our club members Cm, Yean, Adam, Lee, Alan... the bridge was buzzing with enthusiatic runners... 2mins to go.. we moved even nearer the start pt... as we crossed a yellow barrier...

    The Race started at 5.45am sharp.. I could hear a long buzzing sound as many runners passed through the gantry... when i reached Neptune, i got an urge to go to the toilet.. i tried to bear with it and ran at a easy pace... then i saw alot of male runners running into the bushes opposite of Lao Pa Sa.. they are relieving themselves.. arrrghhhh.. tt's the disadvantage of ladies.. soon I passed the 1km mark.. i took a quick glance at my watch.. 6.41min passed.. got to increase my pace a little... Chairman and Adam overtook me and I cheered them to enjoy their run... :D alot of runners also overtook me.. but i reminded my self to be patient... cho cho li... cho cho li... haha applied wat I watched in the "Marathon" korean movie...

    Just before the exit to ECP, I got to slow down and squeeze through the single lane to the main road... got the feeling that I was flowing from a narrow stream to a main stream.. once out onto the road, it was more spacious.. each runner have their own comfortable running area... my urge getting stronger and I am trying hard not to think of it... halfway up the slope, i was thinking.. why i want to run.. it is so xin1 ku1... i dun dare to peep at my watch as i passed through the km markers... worried that I might feel pressure... alamak.. i seem to get alot og negative thoughts at the start of the run... not healthy.. must switch mode.... :o

    I overtook May of TP before the down slope of Sheares Bridge and soon saw a sign board "Hot Babes Ahead" alamak.. they forgot about female runners arh... I gave the Pits stop a miss and past the 6km mark... my mind is "toilet toilet toilet!!" almost wanted to jump into the bush already... *desperate* As I turned in to the entrance of East Coast Park, I saw the top runners racing out.. wow abt 5km ahead of me!! I wetted my lips at the 7km mark water pt... shortly after a 2nd gantry of the 8km mark... i caught sight of a TOILET! i ran straight in.. really felt much much better and able to concentrate on my run...my watch clocked 48mins....near the 9km mark, I saw alot of runners at the opposite side.. can't wait for my turn to be there too.. hehe... I saw Lee and Yuen at the U turn water point.. I took a small cup of Gatorade and had my U turn... and passed through the 3rd gantry... Jimmy ran past me and Lee went ahead to catch up.. I start to feel some groaning in my tummy... the 1st thing tt strike me was... maybe not suitable for me to take Gatorade.. i quickly ran for a cup of plain water to the next water point.. and felt much better...

    Not knowing how much time have past so far.. 11km, 12km, 13km, 14km markers past... i ran in pace with a lady runner and manage to keep sign of Lee just slightly ahead of me... my breathing and legs still feeling good... at the water point @ indoor stadium, i took a quick drink and ran on.. I caught up with Adam shortly after at the 15km mark.. I ran past the PA and reached Kallang Park... 4km more to go... I passed the Nicoll Highway Bridge and ran into Kallang Park and Ritz Carlton is jsut ahead..... Chin and Lee caught up with me and I also saw Mariah... At 18km, I overheard some army guys said 1hr50mins... 3km more.. i should be able to do in 20 mins... suddenly, I heard someone calling for me.. it's Eng Hwa, she cheered me on.. and asked me to follow her pace... but she was simply to fast for me.. and my energy was running low already... I asked her to go ahead and Lee was just in front... She was very encouraging and cheered me on all the way at my last km.. as i ran past the 600m, 500m, 400m mark.. i was draining out real fast.... after the big U turn at the cricket club, Eng Hwa said just a bit more and I saw the official time.. wow 2:08:07.. i got chance to break my PB... I dashed through the Finish line @ 2:09:19

    Ong came up and placed the medal over me.. the feeling was marvellous.. to stop running was at the very back of my mind..... but i was speechless as I trying to catch my breathe.. Cm, Anthony, Colleen were also there to congratulate me... Gave Eng Hwa a big Thank You.. without her.. i wun be able to break my PB. I gulped 2 bottles of Gatorade after that.. and stayed on to congratulate our runners coming in.... After the run, we went for a sumptuous breakfast at Raffles City Cartel with the whole group of members... =)

    After the run, Ong told me that his Polar watch detected 22.2km... think our fellow runner, Chris watch also detected the same distance.... hmm not sure if the AHM is really 21.1km..

    Distance covered: 21.1km __ Timing: 2:09:19

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home