• The Cheery Runner

    Sunday, July 03, 2005

    Ipoh International Run-- I did it!!!

    The alarm rang… It was 5.30am.. My hubby, Ong got up to wash-up while I lazed abit longer in bed. My leg was still aching from the 480 steps of stairs climbing to the top of the “Pi Li Tong” yesterday. We had been touring around to a couple of temple caves and enjoyed eating the local specialties like Taugey Chicken, Ipoh Hor Fun and Pomelo, with 3 good friends, Kumaran, Yuen and his wife, Wendy since we arrived Ipoh on Friday. Ong was already in his running gear when I finished my wash up. I quickly changed into my running gear, applied some sun block lotion and off we went.

    Today is the Ipoh International Run. We met up with Chairman, Wong, Adam, Yuen, Wendy, Derrick and our fellow TP members at Syuen hotel lobby and walked to the starting venue, Ministry of Ipoh, which is only next to our hotel. We walked in through the side gate and saw a lot of enthusiastic runners running around the compound, busy with their warm-up session. The place was very crowded. We did our registration but were confused on which gate to exit to the starting point. Then we saw Lai Chee, she was already full of sweat and fuming mad. She had been running up and down looking for the correct gate, seem like that had helped her to warm up too… hehehe… Soon an announcement was made, all 21km runners were to precede to the side gate. The gate opened at 6.45am and all runners were dashing out. We slow jogged around the building and saw a lot of runners already in their position at the starting point. The timekeeper announced the race would start at 7am. It was 15mins later than the stated time. As we waited, Ong told me “if cannot run then walk… dun push too hard”. My club members told me just enjoy the run, can complete very good already.

    Once the ‘Bang” went off, the runners sped off. Many runners ran past me but I knew I got to run my own pace and kept myself relaxed. Timing was not so important to me at this stage as my target is to finish the whole race without walking. Soon I saw TP runner, Patrick and cheered one another to have a good run. At about 2km, I saw another TP runner, Uncle Jimmy ahead. I caught up with him and he asked me to go ahead. I was feeling quite comfortable with my pace and breathing and hence, I ran on. The weather was quite cooling and I saw alot of mountains along the route. Hmm, nice weather, good scenery... good nice run... The 1st water point is at 5km. I was not feeling thirsty so I just grab a cup, took a quick sip to wet my mouth as I ran. Shortly after, I saw a runner in front of me who was walking and kept shouting “Hek Hek Hek”. I was quite scared and kept a distance when I ran past him. Ahead of me, I saw a “blue vested” uncle and a “red vested” uncle leading a small group of runners. I managed to close up with them at the 6km mark. After a while, the “red runner” and another runner decided to move ahead of him. As I felt satisfied with their pace, I decided to follow suit and broke away from the rest. When I ran past “the blue runner” uncle, he looked at me and said “Very good”. I felt very happy with his compliment and smiled to him. Hahaha… but the next min, he was beside me. As I ran, I realized that whenever I am just a bit ahead of him, he would increase his pace and make sure that I am a step behind him. Hmmm I knew if I were to continue to increase my pace to outrun him, I would disrupt my pace and breathing and drained out halfway through the race… A wiser choice will to set him as my pacer… hehehe… He looked over at me quite oftenly as I maintained close beside him but with a step or two behind. Soon, we reached the 2nd water point, 10km. The “blue runner” uncle slowed down to drink. As I still not thirsty at this point, I took another quick sip of water and ran on alone. In front of me was the “red runner”; I locked him as my 2nd pacer.

    At 12km, as I was happily following behind him, I heard a footsteps closing behind us. It was the “blue runner” uncle with a “yellow-vested” runner. They ran past us in a much faster pace and the “yellow runner” told the “red runner” laughingly that that “blue runner” took some power gel and got a lot of energy. Soon I reached the junction whereby I was given the 1st ribbon, a long blue one. I placed in around my neck and tucked it inside my running vest when it kept flying around. At about 14km, the “blue runner” seem to slow down and asked the “yellow runner” and “red runner” to go ahead. The “red runner” companied the uncle. As I was still feeling quite ok at this point except for a slight ache at my sole… should be due to the blisters.... I changed my pacer again! to the “yellow runner”... he was faster for me. So I just maintained about 50m away from him. At the 3rd water point, 15km mark, I took a mouthful of water and swallowed it down and continued.

    As I past the 16km, 17km mark, I realized that throughout the distance I had covered so far actually I had been carrying a smile on my face and this had kept my mood light and happy. When I am happy, I will brighten up and this gave me confidence that I could do it. Only 4km more to go, no walking so far… Broke record already.. hahaha… I used the wet sponge at the 17.5km to cool my neck with 2 quick taps. Soon I approached the 18km point, with the “yellow runner”, still ahead of me. Suddenly, a car sounded a loud horn at the “yellow runner” as it stopped at the traffic light junction. From the expression of his face, this really gave him a shock and annoyed him. He hit the car window, scolded the driver in Malay and complained to the lady traffic police, who just seated comfortably on her motorbike, ignoring everything. I closed up the distance with the “yellow runner”, ran past the shophouses and soon we reached Jalan Hospital road. 2km more to the ending point, I quicken my pace and the “yellow runner” told me “Very good, you maintained a very consistent pace”. I gave him a thumbsup sign too as he also did very well. My breathing got a bit heavier due to my increased pace. Then I saw TP Serene turning into the side road at the opposite side. I ran on and got my red ribbon from the official at the U-turn. The last water point was at 20km. Yes! Last km to go, I turned into the side road and saw the Ministry building. From afar, I saw someone with orange running kit, waving to me. It was Wong! I showed him a “V” sign. When I turned in to the building, a familiar voice cheered for me at the last 100m. It was Akira! I passed the finishing line. The official gave my completion certificate and asked me a funny question: “Anyone behind you”. I gave him the confused look and just nodded and then showed him the “don’t know” sign with my hands. Then I saw a box at the other official table, thinking it was water, I grabbed and looked in. It was actually the certificates box. The official thought I wanted to snatch the box and quickly held it back. It was then I was given my position tag, no.23. My time clocked 2hr 13min.

    I joined the rest of our runners. Everyone was happily talking about how they enjoyed their run and congratulated me on my completion. Then I saw my hubby, Ong. He was very surprised that I was back. He thought I would take at least 2hr 30mins. I knew he was very worried for me due to my past 2 bad experiences in oversea run. He told me if I ever go into the medic this time, no more oversea run for me. In my 1st oversea run at Terengganu (1999), I was admitted to hospital and on drip after completing 21km. In my 2nd oversea run at Penang Bridge (2000), I was carried into the medical center with bad cramps on my hands and legs. This Ipoh run is very important to me. I am so happy and glad that 5 years later, in my 3rd oversea run, I finally made it and did my personal best! I am looking forward to the next upcoming race with a big smile on my face!

    Distance covered: 21km __ Timing: 2hr13min

    2 Comments:

    • At 11:27 PM, Blogger The Lonely Runner said…

      Congratulations for a good run! Hope to see u around! Keep up the good work!

       
    • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Jaime said…

      Hi Lonelyrunner,

      Thanks! Hope to see u too! :D

      Cheers,
      Jaime

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home