• The Cheery Runner

    Tuesday, June 14, 2005

    Weekly Run @ SAFRA MF - Canterbury - Labrador Park

    This is my very first time to write my running log. After much encouragement from my hubby, Ong and a fellow running friend, Anthony, I decided to give it a try.

    I reached SAFRA earlier than usual, around 6.15pm because I get to drive today! =) The sky looked overcast. After changing into my running gear and walking towards the small corner of the club to place my barang barang, it has started to rain. But that didn’t sunken our mood to run. We almost had a full strength of runners, about 20 of us, with Adrian, TongLin, Yen back except for our Teen, who is tied down with new assignment. We have a new runner with us, Colleen’s colleague, Jeffery. Chariman announced the route that we will be running--> Depot Road-Canterbury-Labrador Park… This route is very nice, with slopes and fresh air, as it is a private resident area where most of the residents are ang mohs.

    We started our run at 6.50pm. At the start of the run, I and Colleen had a short chat. I always admired her stamina. She can talk and run fast at the same time without panting. I always feel breathless when I run and talk at the same time. Haha can't multitask in running...

    Sok Hwa, Eng Hwa and Anthony were just ahead of us when we ran towards Canterbury. I felt quite good so far as I have been resting since my last Thursday run to the Botanic garden. I tried to keep pace with Yuen, Jimmy, Lee, Colleen, Jeffery and Evelyn. Soon we reached the slope, I was breathing abit harder as i ran up. Soon I reached the junction of York road, no shortcuts without Ong around and Chariman behind… hahaha ... I felt easy this time as I hopped up the slope of York Road and let my leg do the running as I tried to recover during the down slope. Soon I saw Mr Foo running out of Winchester loop when we were about to run in. Then I felt someone running beside me, it’s Ong. He gg for his 2nd Wincester loop so he can company me to run as he had promised… hehehe... Paul joined in with his 2nd round too. Ong asked him to do the 3rd round and he joked that he is still young and a lot of things have yet to accomplish like being a dad. Hahah that really make me forget about my pain for a while. I felt heavy in my breathing as I was tried to keep pace with Ong. I slowed down to relax myself as I still have Labrador park to go. Paul, Yuen and Jimmy went ahead with their pace as we moved out of Canterbury road.

    I managed to catch up with Jimmy and Yuen at the Alexandra junction towards Labrador. I started to cough out hard as we waited at the traffic junction. My throat was feeling very dry. Lee, Evelyn, Colleen and Hock Soon joined in and we moved on passing the food centre. I dare not breathe in so much cos the fragance of the food will make me more hungry... wanted to buy a 100plus from the drink store to quench my thrist... but din bring any $$ along... hehehe... =P I tried to keep relax and stay focus to get back my pace. But I felt tired and dry in my throat. We saw Kumaran and Akira running back to club as we were approaching the park. I was not feeling so good and told Ong to go ahead as I need to take some sips of water from the toilet. Though I missed the 800m loop at the park, I felt much better after drinking some water and knew I needed that badly to make it back to the club. I saw Paul and Eng Hwa doing their rounds at the park as I came out from the toilet and told them that I waiting for Ong. Paul thought Ong was in the toilet and went to the toilet and shouted for him... hahaha.. so funny.... I quickly told him that Ong was running in the park. Soon I saw Mr Foo followed by Anthony.. they had finished their rounds and heading back to the club. I informed them that I am waiting for Ong and asked them to go ahead without me. Ong came soon after and we headed back towards the club.

    We saw Anthony just ahead of us and Ong suggested to set him as my pacer... keeping sight with him. I felt confident and increased my speed when I managed to maintain about 100m away from him. As we approached the Henderson road, I heard footsteps closing up behind me. It was Sok Hwa, she was moving up fast and smooth. She overtook me when we were about 800m away from the club. I continued to maintain my speed and felt a sharp pain below my heart. I always have this problem when I exerted myself too hard. I am just 200m from the club. I told myself, I must overcome this weakness and pushed all the way to the end. Overall, I felt I had a good run today as I haven tried this full route before... always with cut here and there.. hehehe.. :"> I am quite satisfied with my pace as I had tried hard and maintained my speed. Though I felt uncomfortable during certain parts of the run, I am glad to overcome it. =D

    Distance covered : 12km____Time : 1 hr 12 mins 36secs

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home