• The Cheery Runner

    Sunday, August 24, 2008

    Singapore Bay Run - SSBR & AHM 2008

    Race Bib pinned, Race Chip secured, Honey Drink prepared, Dear n I were all set to go.. @ 4.15am, Mummy was already at our new place and drove us to the race pt Traffic was smooth n we reached quite early, no toilet queues at the esplanade. :p Soon our running kakis also arrived at our usual meeting place. Topic: Olympic 5000m tracks final, Dear's idol Kenenisa Bekele won! Finally after his last defeat in Athens to WR Morocco miler, Hicham el Guerrouj

    No targets for today, have not done a good decent SSBR race since 2006.. 2006- DNF cos not feeling well, dropped out halfway in the race.. 2007- din registered due to injury.. Finally 2008 mustered up my courage to break the jinx.. tho not very well prepared as trainings lately have not be up to standards.. :(

    Quite a number of our club runners, including Dear, were seeded runners. It's great to see that they're getting fruits from their consistent efforts. Micheal, Yean, Cm, Liping, Enghwa, Goola n I were standing abt 50m from the start line.. Soon the Guest of Honour-Mr Teo flagged off the run.. knowing that I am not a burst out type of runner, just remain consistent n comfortable with my pace is the strategy for completion today.. did a time-check at every km, managed to maintained a 6 min pace until the U-turn point.. felt a sharp drop in my energy level, pumped a packet of power gel, dragged myself out of ECP n went into the trail @ 14km.. everyone was overtaking me, guessed my pace decreased to 7min/km.. got such a strong urge to stop at the trail 100 plus water-point.. drank at least 2-3 cups.. morale was super low when i saw the 15km marker.. oni 15km! how come 14km to 15km seems so far.. finally crossed the Barrage n out to Marina South.. guessed my power gel starts to come into effect, dunno why my emo switched so fast, my brain n confidence level is so high.. maybe cos we used to trained at Marina South.. @ 18km, my clock shown 1:55.. still got 20mins to meet 2:15..

    My arms n legs just pushed on with a smile on my face :D I saw Peter @ the last water point n called out to him to join me.. took a quick gulp of the last cup of 100plus n all the way!

    53 WC2377 JAIME TAN SINGAPOREAN 0:58:33 02:12:14.14 02:13:04.04




    Think i push a tide too hard at the last stretch.. felt naueous after the race n vomitted out yellowish liquid on the way back.. yucks.. felt much better after a cup of Milo n Teh-O @ Funan

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home